This post is based Quick Sprout’s “7 Obsolete SEO Tactics”. The underlying message: search engines have got way smarter in the last few years. Here are 5 changes you may have missed:
1. Backlinks. The quality of backlinks is more important than the quantity. Relevance matters.
2. Keywords: write for users. Writing keyword-rich text for search engines is counter-productive.
3. Content quality is more important then content quantity. Google’s Panda update started penalizing sites with a high volume of low-quality content.
4. Article quality is more important than article length. Upworthy has shown that articles with minimal text (e.g. 3 sentences) can rank highly. Upworthy focuses on video and images instead.
5. Social media impacts search rankings.